Monday, March 12, 2012

and now for something completely different!

I am one of those people who once they get an idea in their head and figure out how it works best for them, they run crazy with it until it burns them out. Lisa, meet gesso journaling.
 I can safely say that I am in love with this process! I didn't even really want to journal last night, but I sure did want to get some gesso down on to some paper! So I put on A Fistful of Dollars, and got to work.
 I thought I would share the "evolution of a page" here with you. The top photo shows what my pages look like with some gesso on, and nothing else. The photo above shows them splattered with spray ink. Pretty basic stuff. These will get more layers later, but so far so good eh?
 Next comes some more fun with spray ink. I love how the gesso keeps its integrity enough under the spray ink to show some extra texture! On the left I smeared the spray ink around (new Lindy's stuff), and on the right I did Chan's and mine new favourite POW! technique and then let it drip. When it runs through the gesso, you can see some of the texture again. Not a lot of colour here, but a great start.
 Here comes the colour! I grabbed some watercolor pencils (Faber Castell-Value Village) and started doodling. I am still learning about watercolours and how to manipulate them, but in my journals I am not worried about perfection, so this is the perfect place to play!
 And I like doodling (and I am good at it), so this is simply an extension of that! Get some colour and a pattern or a shape or a design on the page and add the words later!
I would so love to teach a class at TM about watercolour doodling, but I have a feeling that it would fall flat (as per the usual state of my classes). It is so simple and yet so fun and the results are quite wonderful! My repertoire of shapes is pretty small (leaves, circles, clouds, trees, hearts...), but it's a good start for a beginner art journaler!

later loves

p.s. I was having a little panic this morning when I saw the post below had gone live. I am trying to be more honest/open in life, and more honest/open on my blog, but there was still a huge leap between writing that post and publishing it for all the world to see. Scary, but kind of awesome as well. Thanks for putting up with me!

2 comments:

  1. I sent off an email to a person whos blog I have been reading for a few years. My New Years Resolution is to de-lurk but I skipped the small steps (commenting) and went for the big guns and sent an email. Now I'm worried she'll think I'm Looney Tunes. So I understand where you are coming from on the whole opening yourself up. Now I just wait and see if I actually get an email back...

    Just remember you are awesome! I am super duper looking forward to getting together Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a blogger, trust me when I say that we LOVE to get those kind of emails! I am friends with a lady who contacted me through my blog years ago. She has taken some of my classes in town and I have loved getting to know her. You can't control other people's reactions, but you can always control your actions. Just do what feels right for you, and things might just work out perfectly. That's kind of how I've been feeling with this new friendship...I am way (way way way) outside of my comfort zone, but it's been amazing and all of the things I've done that I thought were idiotic actually got me the most rewards!

      Delete

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!