Wednesday, May 25, 2016

May Long Camping - Our Wet Adventure

I took my Guys camping this past weekend, to Brazeau Reservoir. I haven't been camping on the May Long weekend in....um, a really long time! So you can't really blame me for putting a forgetful, rosy spin on how the weekend would pan out. Spoiler Alert: We got rained out!

 Let's recap!
Left: Got my NEW adventure hat on, and we're off to pick up Dan!
Right: While we were unpacking, Lucas hopped in the back of Delilah and would shout "Gotta pay the toll!" every time we got close.

Speaking of Delilah...isn't she gorgeous?!

We played Catan everyday. It was epic.

Lucas figured out how to recline the jump seat and got all cozy while we were unpacking. I think he loves the van as much as me!

Our first morning was SO COLD! Lucas would take his mitt off, take a bite of his toast, then immediately put his mitt back on! We spent most of the morning in Drayton Valley buying him new boots, a mug, and a warm fleece coat. Mom Fail.

Left: We made a friend on one of our walks around the reservoir. This is Nugget.
Right: "You shall not pass!!"


It's hard to explain what this area looks like. The photo above shows what the reservoir looks like right now. The water level is very low and the entire lake bed is this sandy mud. We went for lots of walks here, as a path behind our camp site led right out to it. The change in elevation in the sandy areas was more dramatic than I anticipated, but still easy to walk on.

The photo below shows the treeline. Lots of weeds, moss, driftwood. We don't think the water has been this high is awhile. There were geese, and loons, and we could hear other birds, but didn't see any. We did come across some kind of chicken-esque bird in the campground. Quail maybe?



We found the spillway and walked down beside it until it reached the lake below the dam. Again, it doesn't look like this gets used much if at all.

Group shot!


Mom & Dude self-timer on the dyke with our sticks.

The fire ban was lifted so we had a little fire on Saturday night. Our little bag of wood didn't last long, but it just doesn't feel like camping without it.

By the light of the lantern. It looks like it's stealing Dan's soul!


This guy...like, I can't even explain how grateful I am...


It's 7-ish am and we are all packed up and ready to go home...a day early. Sigh.

They Story: After tossing and turning all night listening to the rain I woke up at about 5am in a PUDDLE. I got up, set up some blankets in Delilah thinking I could get a little bit more sleep, but Dan was right behind me as he was also sleeping in a puddle. We checked the forecast and found a brand new rainfall advisory for the area. With 20 to 40 mm of rain - and possibly snow - expected, we decided to cut our loses and head home early. Thankfully, Lucas stayed dry the whole night and was perfectly fine with getting an early start on playing DS in the van! We put the coffee on, packed everything into garbage bags, and got on the road.


Thankfully we found a diner open in Drayton Valley for a dry breakfast. Lucas enjoyed his half waffle with strawberries and whipped cream, with Mom's side of bacon.

So our weekend did NOT turn out as I had planned! To say the least. But you know what? We had so much fun! I probably won't be booking any more May Long Weekend Camping Trips, but I will always have fond memories of this one!

Check back tomorrow for the two scrapbooking layouts I did for the trip.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!