Sunday, March 04, 2018

Fear of the Blank Canvas



I think I am ready to start again. Rather, every time I think I am ready to start again, I've got a blank canvas staring back at me and I start to panic. "I have no good ideas, flowers are dumb, I can't mix colours, I can't even PICK colours..." My impostor syndrome kicks in strong when it comes to painting on a canvas. No matter how often I practice on a smaller medium - my art journals for example - the size and scope and potential of a canvas kicks my ass.

Even once I get over that first hiccup, I always hate what I create.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

But after having a chat with BFF (possibly after a few drinks) I realized that I am trying to push myself to try new things too fast. I need to get 100% comfortable with the things I can do now, before I can branch into new stuff. Because it's when I try to move forward too fast that things get messed up.




I have discovered a couple of techniques to help ease me out of my "artist's bloack" and work towards getting paint on a canvas and some ideas swirling.

1) Colour swatches! How did it take me so long to figure this out?! I bet if I took an actual art class...but anyhoo! The simple act of making squares of colour on a piece of paper really helps open my brain, get me warmed up, and give me great ideas for future canvases.

2)  Small work in an art journal. I spent a lot of time as a kid painting with tiny paintbrushes on pretty much any surface I could get my hands on. I enjoy it, and it helps my brain stay fresh working on those small details. It's practice that feels more like play. And I am good at it.

Do YOU have any tips on working through artist block?

FURTHER READING
All of my blogged ART is located here.
The Jealous Curator always gives me some inspiration to get going again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!