Saturday, March 03, 2018

Lisa Reads - February 2018



DOOOOODES how is it already March? What happened? I love all the posts and comments I have been seeing on the webs over the last month about how January seemed to last eleventy billion days, and February was like 12.5. HA!

But seriously, I clearly threw out my goal to limit the amount of reading I'm doing this year because look at February y'all! I doubled my made-up goal, killing 8 books last month. Part of the "problem" are those FIVE audio books!

CONTENT NOTE: I am going to split up my specific trigger warnings as they arise in the books listed below. Torture, child abuse,

Leia Princess of Alderaan // I am on a huge Star Wars kick right now and I am loving it! Leia as a teenager was exactly how I expected - smart, fiesty, diplomatic, loving.

The audio book was excellent. A good book for middle readers and young adults.


The Titan's Curse // Percy Jackson is one of the only ways my kid will read books at his reading level. I mean, it's too bad that Percy is an idiot, but the stories are exciting. And at least we're learning about Greek mythology, right?

Another audio book.


Chomp // This book took a winding turn that I was not expecting, and it veered into slightly more mature territory near the end, but it was a nice change from the standard stuff Lucas & I read/listen to.

Another audio book! Content Note: The protagonist's friend lives with her abusive father, and that storyline becomes important later in the book.


Phasma // Remember that Star Wars kick I mentioned two paragraphs ago? Well, I'm still on it, and this book was worth every second of everything.

The audio was amazing, and highly recommended. Content note for descriptions of torture. I wouldn't recommend this for kids, unless you already know your kid can handle a bit more violence.


River of Teeth //  I think I will be recommending this novella to everyone for a long time. Hippos in the southern US! And a caper! So thrilling and great.


Practical Magic // I was kind of disappointed in this book. I really love the movie, and after reading this book I can tell you that the movie was very loosely based on the book! Also, there wasn't enough witchy stuff in it.


The Great Treehouse War // Another great audio book that Lucas & I really enjoyed. It was funny and fun, but had a nice "lesson" at the end as well. Great for middle readers (8-12).

Dude! That's four audio books in a row this month! We're on fire! And it's so nice to listen to this stuff on the commute or on a run or in the gym instead of music.


Men Explain Things To Me // I have been waiting to read this collection of essays for a long time - it is very popular at the library! Rebecca Solnit is somewhat infamously known as the woman who coined the term "mansplain" (even though she didn't really...). That essay is in here among other discussion on topics such as gun violence and Virginia Woolf.

I NEED YOUR OPINION!
I am rethinking how I structure my monthly book recap, and I would like your opinion. Would you prefer to read:
- a short synopsis of the book?
- why I liked or disliked it?
- a "if you like blank you should read this..." type of recommendations?
- some combination of the above?

Also, do you like it when I link to the Goodreads page about the book?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

FURTHER READING
2018 Lisa Reads Booklist
My Black History Month Recommendations


No comments:

Post a Comment

While I don't individually reply to each comment, I want to say "Thanks for commenting!" If you have a specific question about a post, please send me an email!